Work on the Suzuki and other things

Ongoing Suzuki Work!

Cd2H8DpVAAQYJen.jpg large

Well, after stripping down the brakes on the GS500, I’ve discovered that both the front and rear calipers look like they’ve had it. The rear caliper (pictured above) is a ground-out rusted mess (but the pads looked ok, go figure), while the front looks like the pistons have seized in the extended position after wrecking the inner pad and obliterating the rear pad entirely. Definitely not good, but I’ll check with my Motorcycle Mechanic friend and consult my manual. The rotors look ok, fortunately, however they may still need to be replaced. (hooray for me)

Hopefully within the next week or so I’ll be ordering the new ignition, tank, and seat key set that I’ve been eyeing on Ebay (if it hasn’t sold yet).

The wiring harness work is coming up as well. Continuity testing, soldering, heat-shrinking, and rigging will all be done at the same to save my sanity. Some parts may need to be replaced, but hopefully things won’t get too bad.

U.S. Import News!

2016 marks the release of CSC’s RC3 (no production name, unlike their Cyclone), and I have to admit, if this is Zongshen taking the plunge and hopping into the American market, things look amazing!

The CSC Blog announcement of the RC3

The Order page for the RC3

The CSC RC3 Stats:

CSC RC3 Specs

I really do think this might be a break-out hit in America if Zongshen can overcome the stigma of “China” by maintaining quality levels. Most Chinese bikes suffer from quality issues throughout their production, however CSC and Zongshen pledge that quality is a big selling point of this and other CSC bikes both now and in future products. If this is true, I may just have to buy one at some point!


The Great Wiring Battle: Part 1!

Today was the first day in the great battle for the Wiring Harness. Today’s work focused on the rear half of the bike, sorting wires, connectors, and items according to the wiring diagram and my own wiring break-down. I traced everything I could, unwrapped electrical-taped jumbles, and labeled everything in sight with identifying tags for later soldering work.

The rear tail-lights are aftermarket, and as such have an inexplicable third wire I have to figure out. (I think its a “always on when the bike’s on” wire)

Add to that splices everywhere, bridges where wires were cut for no apparent reason and patched back together, and wires put together that had no business going together according to the diagram. This thing was a mess!

Fortunately I had the wiring diagram to go by, so I instantly had something to refer to when seeing a wire that seemed out of place.

Sometime later I’ll do continuity testing to ensure no wires are cut elsewhere, but for now its soldering, heat-shrink wrapping, and other clean-up work next.

The beginning!


Greetings to all and sundry! I’m Jon, though I usually go by Squirrel (my call-sign during my deployment in Iraq), and I decided I would document my descent into the complex and wonderful world of motorcycles. On here, and on my eventual Vlogs, I’ll document what I’ve learned, my musings on motorcycle culture, and other things that seem relevant.

Now, I’ve recently picked up a, rather battered, ’95 Suzuki GS500e for a pittance. The poor basket-case needs a lot of work to get it running again, but with persistence, copious amounts of caffeine, help from friends, and support from the fine folks at the GStwins Forum, I think the bike will be back on the road soon!

In the future, I intend to add Vlogs to this little site, but since I don’t see a major reason to take that step yet (I’m not riding yet), I’ll stick to documenting my progress and findings on here.

The work that must be done to the GS before its road-worthy again is as follows:

  1. Wiring work is needed; to ensure the previous owner didn’t cause irreparable harm to the wiring harness. If there is, It’ll have to be replaced.
  2. The brakes need an overhaul. The front brake pads were nearly non-existent on one side of the caliper, yet completely missing on the other side (heaven knows how they managed to stop before)! The rear brake looks almost brand-new, however they seemed over-tight and were rubbing on the rear rotor.
  3. The carburetors have been cleaned, however more fiddling/adjustments may be needed before optimum performance is achieved.
  4. New tires are a must! The current tires are either not holding air very well (the front), or are rather bald in the center (the rear). Definitely not safe for any rider, much less a beginner like me.
  5. New paint is needed as well. The wonderful previous owner decided that the best way to give his bike a new look was to spray paint everything, and I mean everything, with cheap semi-gloss black paint. Certainly not a good look for the discerning beginning rider.
  6. Other custom work will be done as well, including the addition of a different seat (cafe style, most likely), the possible addition of a fairing (to change the look), and maybe some other tweaks to really make this bike both something special, and my own.

So join me, as I blunder along!